Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sometimes as I walk down the sidewalk on my way to the bank and post office each day I wonder how did I get here? As I pass the same people, smile at the same faces, wait for the same cars in the same intersections every day I marvel at how I ended up in a small town of just 1600 people. I never dreamed I would be somewhat of a novelty that people hear about - "the new principal and his wife" - and relate to me when they call the office where I work. "Oh, so you're the newlyweds." Yes, that's us.

I had always figured I would live in the suburbs near a big enough city to get by "Big City" fix whenever I wanted. Or maybe, someday, I'd actually live downtown in an apaprtment. Never did the thought of living somewhere rural enter my mind.

That just goes to show that you better be ready for whatever God has in store when you pray dangerous prayers like "Wherever you need me, Lord, I'm willing to go." Or when you, as a couple, pray for God to open the doors to the right job and the right place when you know your time where you currently reside is coming to an end. He just might surprise you and take you miles away from anything familiar, and everyone you know, and plop you down in the middle of the Panhandle of Nebraska.

No comments: