Monday, November 7, 2011

A breakfast to be thankful for

Yesterday while the Broncos played - and beat - the Raiders, I kept myself busy with cheering, knitting, and preparing breakfast for the week.  A little bag of wholesome goodness simmering on my pot!

Titus & I had forgotten all about the steel cut oats that were sitting in our cupboard.  But with an effort to continue to make whole food choices, I pulled out the bag and cooked them up yesterday.  Here's what I did:


I used a 3-1 ratio of water to oats:
2 cups Steel Cut oats
6 cups water 


Bring the water to a boil.  Add the steel cut oats and simmer.  My oats took about 35 mins simmering to absorb the water and soften.  I then let them sit until cooled and transferred them to a container to store in the refrigerator.

This morning, I spooned out two bowls full of oatmeal, added some soy milk and reheated in the microwave.  I then added a drizzle of agave nectar and it was just the perfect amount of sweetness.



The best part is that with the steel cut oats being processed less than rolled oats or instant oats, they take longer for our systems to process and the call for insulin is less.  That keeps our blood sugar level longer and the morning munchies stay at bay.  So excited to try mixing in fresh blue berries this week also!  

No comments: