Friday, November 4, 2011

Thankful for No Bake Granola Bars

I've been on a quest to make more wholesome snacks for our family.  I read labels on everything I buy, and am amazed how much sugar is in everything.  I don't want to avoid sugar altogether, but I do want to make smarter choices when it comes to how much and what types of sweeteners we use.  While we are on a tight budget (both being in full-time ministry and all) it is tempting to go for the cheaper, processed foods.  But I am really making efforts to still make better choices for our family.

I am thankful that I live in a town with lots of options for healthier choices and a husband who supports these choices.

I have started making my own No Bake Granola bars.  It is a basic recipe I have varied based upon what I have available in my home at the time.  This is the variation I have used the most as it is a basic bar we can grab on our way out the door.

WHAT YOU NEED:
1 cup Almond Butter
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
3 cups Oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped nuts
muffin tin - sprayed with canola oil

WHAT I DID:
On the stove - in a pot - over medium heat:
Heat almond butter and Agave Nectar until smooth.  Remove from heat and mix in the oatmeal and nuts.  Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, spoon into the muffin tin and use the bottom side of the measuring cup to press into the muffin tin mold.  Place the muffin tin in the fridge to allow the bars to cool completely.  Once cool, remove from the tin and store in an air tight container.  I packaged mine into plastic baggies and put them in the fridge.  Now, each morning, I grab one on my way out the door and I have a wholesome breakfast I can eat on my way into work.

VARIATIONS:
When you add the oatmeal you can also add a handful of raisins, chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, or dried fruit.  While I think regular peanut butter is too sweet after eating natural almond butter, I did have some on left over from another treat I made to take to a football party and made a batch using that as well.  If you choose to use corn syrup, honey, or maple syrup, you may want to increase to 1 cup.  The agave nectar is sweeter, so you need less. This is a great base recipe that you can make your own each time with what you have on hand.

No comments: