Tuesday, November 8, 2011

More than enough

At work I have the privilege of answering phones when our receptionist is not available.  Many of the phone calls are transfers back to someone else in the office.  More and more lately the phone calls are of a nature that truly humbles me.  There are so many hurting and struggling people in our community.

Our church hosts a food pantry.  It is just about a daily occurrence that someone will walk through our front doors needing food for their children.  And many more phone calls come from someone needing help paying their bill so the electricity isn't turned off or they can get gas in their car to go to work.  I am thankful that I'm not the one who has to determine how we help each individual that comes through our doors.  But I am also thankful that our church does everything within it's power to aid those in need, while still being concerned with where they are at spiritually, and working with them to help long-term.  Our goal is not to enable them, but to show them the love of Christ and walk along side them through whatever struggles in which they find themselves.  However they ended up there, our place is not to judge, but to show them the love of Christ.

It is also humbling to me that despite our tightened budget, we are blessed beyond measure.  Our bills are paid.  There is food in the pantry (when I make time to grocery shop, that is).  We enjoy the support and company of each other and our family and friends.  Our home is a place of refuge.  And every day we are blessed to be paid to work in full-time ministry.

I praise God for His faithfulness and His provision.  He has NEVER failed us and He will ALWAYS take care of us.  For that fact alone, I am beyond blessed and thankful.

No comments: