Thursday, December 11, 2008

We Pulled it Off!!!


I can't believe we did it!

Today Mom and I flew into Milwuakee and drove the hour and a half north to surprise my sister. Every year her church does a special Christmas service for the women at the church. Mothers and sisters gather with loved ones for a special dessert and program at the church. Every year my sister sits there with women she may not know, her longing for her family magnified. But this year, Dad decided to send us back to be with her. And we decided to surprise her.

As we drove into the driveway, our excitement peaked. We have been planning for six weeks, and keeping the secret was not easy. But it was worth it. Ted told Melanie to close her eyes and we walked into the kitchen. Mom leaned down and said "Who loves you, babe?" in Mel's ear. Her eyes flew open and she focused on mom. Tears immediately started flowing...from all three of us. Mel was so excited, so overwhelmed. She said it felt like she was dreaming.

The program was so beautiful. A sweet and wonderful reminder of Christ at Christmas. Great dessert. Great conversation. Great music. It was a wonderful evening.

I look forward to the next few days as we enjoy the company of my sister, her husband, and of course, the three little ones! I cannot wait to spoil my nieces and soak in all their smiles and energy.

Man, what a great start to this trip.

No comments: