Wednesday, July 9, 2008

It's all coming together

Last night I started reading a book called Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Excercise & the Brain by Dr. John J. Ratey. I have become facinated by this idea of how excercise effects our brains ever since April of this year. But as I read, I realized, I've been thinking about all of this for several years now.

The basic idea, as I've been able to gather from my one night of reading, is that science is showing how much excercise affects our brain functionality. Everything from improved learning, to improved mood can be linked to excercise.

About 4 years ago I participated in a 30 day fruit and vegetable fast. I lost 30 lbs. and felt great. What I learned through that experience was how deeply integrated are the spiritual, physical, and emotional aspects of our lives. I never felt closer in my realationship with Jesus, more energized, or emotionally stable at any time in my life before that 30 days. Since then, I've monitored this in my life. When I am physically not performing (i.e. tired or sick), often times spiritually I feel more disconnected. Or if I am feeling depressed or stressed, my physical side gets drained. When I'm kicking on all cylinders, when all three aspects are functioning well, then I am at my best.

Since April 3rd I have walked or worked out to some extent nearly every day. I have noticed not only that my clothes fit so much better (I don't own a scale therefore have no idea if I have lost weight), but overall I'm doing better. Even within the past couple of weeks as I am going through a tough situation, excercise has kept me going. The days I work out, I am in a better mood, more inclined to be in the Word and prayer. The days I don't work out, I find it harder to interact with friends, and prayer is the last thing on my mind. In fact, I have now started to go work out or go for a walk when all I want to do is sit at home. It has been so powerful for me.

Seeing how the physical, emotional, and spiritual aspects of my life all converge has been a fantastic experience. I look forward to exploring this concept more fully and seeing how this spills into all areas of my life in the future.

No comments: