Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Unsettling

Last night I found myself sitting alone in a dark theatre. It was packed with people excited to see the latest Batman movie, The Dark Knight. I was hoping to see the movie in OKC on Friday afternoon, but I opted to be social and be with some of my business partners instead. So this was the first chance I had to see the movie. A phone call from a friend confirmed that I needed to go last night. She had so many things she wanted to talk about the movie with me, so I just had to go see it. And I am glad that I did.

I have been a Christian Bale fan since Newsies back in 1992. And I think he makes the perfect Batman as he can balance that line between sanity and insanity so perfectly. This movie was no different. The way he fluxes back and forth between Batman & Bruce Wayne once again was superb.

But of course, the one who stole the show was Heath Ledger at The Joker. I was not at all prepared, even with what I had heard and read, for how he portrayed this character. In fact, I can't remember any other actor getting so lost in his character that you don't even realize who it is. I was absolutley in awe at his performance.

But the movie overall took my breath away. I was not prepared for how dark spirited the movie is. Truly, it made me feel unsettled. There were so many moments of pure evil that these characters battled. And the spiritual correlations are seemingly endless. Good vs. evil. Sacrifice of one for the good of many. Bad influence corrupting good character. Truly a human story at it's core.

I have thought back on the movie and the conversation with my friend that followed. All morning I have been mulling over everything that I saw and heard. And that is when I know that I have enjoyed a movie...when it sticks with me past the ride home.

No comments: