Thursday, July 31, 2008

Camping and tan lines

Last week was a blur. Honestly, I spent a good 60 hours working; scrambling to get everything ready for the many events last weekend. I made it - by the skin of my teeth and the grace of God. Sunday afternoon, I found myself driving north on I-25 toward WY, in a big box truck with no A/C and the windows rolled down. As my hair blew in the wind, I reflected back on the week that just passed and the week to come.

We are in crazy transition time right now with our church. Our new senior pastor started June 1st and we have been going full-speed ahead ever since. Our calendar is full, and getting fuller as we move toward fall. But we are also losing a dear friend and pastor who is moving to Iowa. That means we are also working to try and find people to take over the MANY responsiblities that he filled. But on top of all of this, our big annual High School camping trip to Lake Glendo, WY was this weekend, and our student pastor was in ICU with strep-pneumonia. So the remaning leaders all stepped up and made it happen. It was, as usual, a blast.

We camped once again on Sandy Beach. It was great to see a tent colony for all the girls and guys. We enjoyed great food (wings, brats, nachos, breakfast burritos, etc.) all prepared ahead of time by an angel of a volunteer! We enjoy lots of water time with jet skis and tubing. But most of all, we enjoyed lots of laughter and great fun hanging out with the kids.

I even enjoyed camping, once I got into a tent with an air mattress and realized there was running water where I could wash my hair! And the stars! oh, the stars! They stretched out as far as you could see. So many stars, and the Milky Way! Amazing! It's been so long since I've marveled at God's beautiful lights in the sky! How wonderful to sit and look up and catch a glimpse of the vastness of our universe!

Two days of laying on the beach was wonderful. Even if I did get tan lines that I now have to get rid of. It was so worth it. Nothing like relaxing, listening to laughter and water hitting the beach.

Really, a wonderful time with so many fond memories.

No comments: