Monday, August 4, 2008

The Big Party

Yesterday afternoon my parents house and yard were filled with music, food, laughter, and chatter. It was a wonderful sound! All the hard work we put in the past few weeks, and especially the past two days, allowed us all to really enjoy the event.

30 people came to celebrate 60 years of life well-lived. It was a bit odd celebrating their birthdays in August, when their birthdays are in Feb and Nov. But no one seemed to care. Everyone enjoyed sharing stories, catching up with old friends, and grubbing on some amazing hamburgers!

My parents really are blessed. As we gathered to pray for our food, I looked around the circle that had formed. People from all stages of their life were their. Family, friends from church, old friends from BSF days, neighbors, all there to celebrate them. They have touched so many people in their life, and after all these years, so many people still care for them and love them. It humbled me to think that I don't even come close to their love and care for others. I realized I want to be more like them.

My mom has always put other people first. Always. As long as I can remember, she has always been doing for someone else. Helping in any way she possibly can to make sure that others are taken care of before her. And my dad! He's one of the most generous people I know. Even Saturday night he shows generosity to me that I was not expecting. Amazing man. I really am blessed to have such shining examples of how to treat others in my life.

And I can't close without mentioning my sister. She is truly wonderful. It was so much fun planning this party with her. We work so well together. I am the organizer and planner. She's so often the do-er. We worked hard this weekend to make this day special...and I think we did. I am confident that our parents felt honored and celebrated yesterday...and that's all that we could ever have asked for. We only wish our brother could have been here to join in the celebration.

What a success!

No comments: