Thursday, October 9, 2008

Where's the nearest beach?

After today, I'm seriously considering a trip to a foreign beach. Somewhere my cell phone and computer won't work. No texts, no emails, no online options whatsoever. Just me, and God, figuring out what is going on and getting back on track.

This morning I woke up with a migraine. About 5:30am I found myself in the bathroom, throwing up. That's how I know it's a bad one. I took some Advil and drank some water and went back to bed. Finally, I started feeling better and decided to go into work. It was a busy and prodcutive morning.

At lunch I drove over to Wendy's to get some chili. A great choice for our cooler day today. As I pulled around to the window, I could tell something was not right with my car. One of my tires was flat. I grabbed my food and pulled into a parking spot. Sure enough, I had a flat...actually, one of my tires was so worn, it split. Tomorrow my car is scheudled to get four brand new tires. I called Ryan, one of the guys I work with, to come and put my spare on. He did and I went across the street to put more air in the tire. By the time I got there, the already low spare had come off the rim. I just sighed, called the towing company and had them take my car to the shop today.

I finished out my day and hopped into the "Green Van". Our church owns a 1987 Ford Conversion van. We call it the "Love Van" or "Cheech". This is my ride home. The foam lining is coming off the ceiling, the metal a-frame signs we put out on Sundays sliding every time I turn a corner. I pulled into the liquor store just around the corner from my apartment. For some reason, after my day, I just want a cold Coors. I find my selection and take it to the counter. The sweet lady asks for my ID and tells me I look young. Thanks, I say. You must be happy, she tells me. Happy people look young.

Well don't that beat all?! I just smiled, thanked her, and laughed once I got back in the van. Right now I'm in my pajamas, a cold beer sitting close by, getting ready to finish the program for Sunday morning. I know this is just one of those days we all have. And I know that God got me through it and will help make tomorrow a better day. Even when I don't realize it or feel it, He is with me in day like this.

1 comment:

T.C. said...

"You must be happy. Happy people look young." That is great! What a day Sarah!