Friday, September 26, 2008

Baggage Claim...

Yesterday we traveled for 16 hours before we landed on the doorstep of Cody & Casie's house. Our flight from Denver to Minneapolis was uneventful - and early. We left DIA at 6am. But the ride from Minneapolis to Baltimore was a bit more stormy. In fact the landing was very rough. I normally don't mind turbulence, but this was longer than I anticipated and I was just ready to land.

Casie's brother was traveling with us, but on a different flight. While he landed within minutes of our flight, it took nearly an hour for his bag to show up. While we waited, I took advantage of the time to check out people in the airport. You get to see all kinds when you travel. I miss not being able to see people say good-bye and hello like you used to...but baggage claim can prove to be a riot!

While I waited for Eric (Casie's brother) I had lots of time to see all the other people. I decided that the creators of TLC's What Not To Wear need to just camp out in the airports and ambush people for makeovers.

There was the lady who was obviously in town to visit her grandkids. They came running up to give her a hug. Her daughter was casually dressed in jeans and t-shirt. Grandma was dressed in a short skirt, heels, and a sassy zebra print purse. The outfit really wasn't all that bad...it was just that Grandma should not have been wearing it. But it was so great to see everyone greet each other with hugs and kisses. I love that!

Lots of business people on Eric's flight. And a group from Australia...looked similar to what we would call Girl Scouts here. But then, I saw the best one of the day. I was amazed by this man. I watched him to the point where I'm sure people thought I was staring. I just couldn't get past what I saw.

He came walking into the baggage claim area like he owned the place. His off the shoulder ivory sweater first caught my attention. It was from the 1980's and had large, bold squares and circles on it. And he carried a quilted sun and moon tote. It looked like he grabbed something from his grandmother's closet. When I tried to explain this to my family they asked if he was a cross-dresser. No, it wasn't that kind of dressing like a woman. It was as if he didn't realize the outfit was made for a woman. But man - I applaud his confidence as he walked through the airport.

I could go on and on. And everyone knows I'm not a fasion expert. But I'd like to think I can put together and outfit and wear it well. I dress for the occasion and like to look presentable even when I'm running errands.

But this kind of stuff facinates me! I love to see what others wear, how they interact with people, what they do when they have to wait for luggage.

So next time you are in an airport, don't rush to get your bags. Take some time to enjoy the people around you. It takes all of us to make this world work...so enjoy it!

No comments: