Saturday, September 27, 2008

Just Look at You Girl

Today my little brother married the love of his life, Casie Marie. When I first met Casie a few years ago I could tell that this one was different. The way Cody looked at her and talked about her, I knew. They were engaged last summer, and after some very difficult living and work situations, they have landed on a great ranch in PA, where today they were married.

The morning passed in a flurry of activity. The girls got their hair done in town, the log cabin had to be decorated for the dinner and reception, the cake and caterer came bearing their goods. Before we knew it 3pm was upon us and a small group of family and friends gathered in the barn as the soundtrack to Lonesome Dove played in the background. It was a simple and beautiful wedding. I had tears before the ceremony began. I had tears during the ceremony. And I even had a few tears later at the dance. To see my nieces all dressed up - looking so beautiful! And to see the look on my little brother's face as he saw his bride for the first time in her wedding dress. Moments like that just don't come along twice.

Amidst all the picture taking, guests began enjoying food and conversation. The group was intimate and most everyone knew everyone else. There was much laughter as we enjoyed our roast beef and ham with all the sides. It felt more like a family reunion than a wedding reception.

As the evening progressed we began to dance. Cody & Casie started us off with their wedding dance to Chris Ledoux's Just Look At You Girl. I couldn't help but tear up again. My little brother...my Cody...married. It just doesn't seem real. To see him hold Casie, to whisper in her ear, to show affection the way only a man truly in love can for the woman he loves. It was amazing. To see the gentle heart he likes people to think doesn't exist...but we all secretly know is there. It was a moment I'll treasure.

As was the time I spent on the couch with Abbee. I was walking by the darkened room when I saw my niece laying on the couch. She was all alone looking down. I went over and asked if I could sit with her. As we lay on the couch together she curled up next to me, her head on my chest and her hands in mine. I leaned down to kiss her head. She looked up at me and said, "I love you Aunt Sarah." Wow. Precious. Just the two of us, sharing a moment, curled up on the couch together. Another sweet moment while activity and music was all around us.

Moments like this happened all night. Seeing my mom and brother dance to Elvis. Having my dad ask me to dance with him to Alabama. Watching my brother-in-law dance with his oldest. Having conversations with new people and those I've know for a while now. Just a night full of moments and memories that will forever be remembered.

No comments: