Friday, September 26, 2008

The First Day

So, I started earlier wanting to write about the day...but realized I couldn't really do that until the end of the day. Now I'm tucked away in a bedroom at Cody's house in PA. It has been a wonderful first day here for the wedding.

The weather in PA this weekend is cool, foggy, and drizzle. Not what Casie had wanted for a wedding in a field. But there is a back up plan. And you can't really complain about this weather.

The ranch is tucked away in a valley. The leaves are just starting to turn shades of purple, brilliant red, and soft yellow. It is so peaceful here. Rolling hills and open fields boxed in by trees as far as you can see.

Since the weather isn't ideal, we will have the wedding in a barn. Still very cool. Today we set out hay bales for benches and a horse drawn cart flanked by bales with lights strewn on them. Then the ladies put together a couple of flower arrangements using boots for vases. Yes, this is a very casual and very country wedding. And it seems so fitting for Cody & Casie.

Tonight dinner was up at the big house. Or maybe I should say the big log cabin. The people who own this ranch where Cody & Casie live have just finished a log cabin up the hill that over looks the valley. It has enough double beds to sleep 36 people comfortably. So all the family and friends in from out of town have a place to stay right here on the ranch.

As I sat tonight enjoying our delicious steak dinner, I looked around. I have only just met some of these people, yet felt like I was among family. The house smelled of good food, and conversation and laughter were all around. I watched the face of my oldest niece as she talked with one of the other kids. Her eyes danced as she listened to the story he told. All three nieces have made quick friends with the other kids as they rode 4-wheelers and played Wii all day long.

Then tonight, before heading back down to the house I'm staying in, I snuggled with my dad. Yes, I'm 30 years old...and yes, I just admitted I snuggled with my dad. I leaned my head on his shoulder and curled up next to him. Our arms and hands intertwined, I listened to his breathing and the conversations around me. I don't get many chances to just be like that. Savoring the time with family all a flury around me. It was a precious moment.

Tomorrow will pass too quickly, I'm sure. We'll be up, getting hair done, putting finishing touches on the cabin for the reception, getting everyone dressed and ready for the wedding. But I look forward to being here tomorrow night, writing and sharing about the day my little brother gets married. There may be a few tears on the keyboard, but that's never stopped me before.

No comments: