Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Step Back In Time

I had never thought I'd get such a thrill out of returning to my high school campus so many years after graduating. Twelve years ago, I walked across the stage at Centaurus High School in Lafayette, CO. Eighteen years old and sure I would never step on those grounds again. As far as I was concerned, I was moving onto bigger and better things and this place would be just a memory in my past.

Well, things change. And last night, I found myself driving toward the campus once again. My good friend Jenn is the new cheer coach for Arvada High School. In their second game of the season, their football team played the Centaurus Warriors at Warrior Stadium in Lafayette. I told Jenn I'd go along with her to keep her company.

We drove down the familiar streets and into the parking lot. Not much has changed. The school, the stadium, it all looks the same. Once through the gate, I felt like I was a teenager once again. I walked over to the bleachers. Yep, there was the band area, and just beyond that...the student section. So many games I stood watching from those aluminum bleachers below the press box. The players and cheerleaders were warming up on the field and track. Somehow I just can't imagine I ever looked that young!

Jenn grabs my attention and motions me to follow her to the other side of the field. What? I didn't even think about that! I was there with Jenn...and she was the coach for the opposing team. That meant I would be watching the game from the far bleachers. I've never been over there before. Why would I? I always watched games from the home bleachers.

It was a quiet walk to the other side. Not much energy and a smaller crowd. But a great perspective to be sure. I got to watch the game and see what it might have been like when I was there. The band section with it's proud players. The student section cheering and standing the whole game. The family and friends watching below the press box. It was so fun. And listening in on the Arvada fans talk trash about the school and team I secretly was cheering for, well - it was just fun.

Centaurus beat Arvada 33 to 0. Jenn and I had a good time ribbing each other when our teams would make a play against the other team. It was a fun time and I'm so glad I went.

1 comment:

Skip Crust said...

How could I NOT comment???

I haven't made it back since I walked across the stage on that graduation day (mine in 1994). My mind is fuzzy trying to remember what things were like there...

Hearing you describe the fans and students from across the field we hilarious!

I don't have any desire to go back, but I think I could be coerced under similar circumstances as you.