Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Favorite Things about Fall

This morning I mentioned I was excited to watch the Broncos play the Raiders tomorrow night on a big screen. Someone said they are tired of football already and it just started. I just love NFL football. I have carved out the time to watch the Broncos every week. And now that I have all day Sunday after church free...I intend to watch as much as I can each week. It's just one of my favorite things about fall.

But there are many other things about fall that I love. A couple of years ago I started coloring my hair for the seasons. Fall is the best. Friday I put low-lights throughout and a merlot clolor underneath. It just screams fall!

This time of year in Colorado can be some of the most beautiful days. Sunny, cloudless skies and temps in the high 70's. Gotta love it!

Take a quick drive up toward Estes Park in about a month and you'll see two great fall displays all at one time. The turning of the Aspen trees and bugling of the elk. If you've never heard the elk bugle it's an amazing experience. It's how the males woo their ladies. And, sometimes, you'll see bulls fight over the ladies. O.k. that's a simplistic explanation...but still, one of my favorite experiences of fall.

Another tradition I love with fall is the bonfire and hay ride. Just about as long as I can remember our family has been hosting such an event sometime in October. We've had chili cook-offs and pumpkin carving contests. Whatever the event, and whomever the group, we always have so much fun.

In a state where it is often said we have two seasons, Summer & Winter, you sometimes have to look hard to find the Fall. But, with some great clues from mother nature, and some traditions that pop up on the calendar, it's easy to spot.

No comments: