Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Reason I Smile Today

Right now I'm sitting pool side, enjoying a slight breeze and the setting Colorado sun. Not quite the perfect Colorado day that yesterday was, but still a banner fall day. I've had a little bit of time for the events of my morning to sink in. I was blindsighted and surprised by my church today.

My morning started off like any other Sunday morning. In typical fashion, I remembered at the last minute that I had forgotten to print something off for the program, so I scrambled to get it ready. Eric mentioned that he needed me in on the service to get my feedback. I assumed he needed my to give him feedback on the music. Well, once the music was just about over, I headed out of the auditorium to grab my notebook. Ryan came after me telling me he needed me in the service to make sure Eric announced the postponement of our women's retreat right. So I followed him back into the service. Now, can anyone else tell I'm being set up for something? Well, I couldn't. I swear - I'm so dense sometimes.

So after the music Eric walks on stage with a pink feather boa around his neck. He makes a comment about that and told everyone to watch the screen. The auditorium goes black and Abba's Dancing Queen starts playing and a slide show of pictures of me flash on the screen. I have no idea what is going on or why they would be doing this. After the slide show he calls Mary Hoff and me up on the stage. Mary tells everyone it is "Sarah Appreciation Day" and they had some wonderful gift baskets for me. Are you kidding me? I was speechless.

The biggest surprise is how they did this without me having a clue! They grabbed the pictures of me and put together some great gifts! To top everything off, they gave me an authentic #80 Rod Smith Broncos jersey. I had tears welling up in my eyes!

I love my job. I love my church. And after the trials of the past two years there are thoughts from time to time of closing this chapter in my life. But when something like this happens, it reminds me how loved I am and why I'm here. It's not for the paycheck, it's not for the gifts, it's for the people. But I will admit, it is nice to be recognized and appreciated like this once in a while.

Thank you to everyone who helped with the surprise. I know I'm loved...and I love you all!

2 comments:

joyful5 said...

I know you deserved every bit of it!! You are such a hard worker and a sweetie!! It IS nice to be appreciated.(I keep reminding my family of this)

AZofAZ said...

Sarah, What great timing God has to bless you in this way. You sure do deserve the recognition after all the serving you do. Doesn't the Bible say something about honoring one another? What a lovely day to ponder the love of Jesus and His beautiful people!
Aunt Adell